REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
(Consulting services – individual consultant selection)
From : 18/07/2023 to 31/07/2023
Client: ECOWAS Regional Competition Authority (ERCA)
Type: Expression of Interest (EOI)
TITLE: Recruitment of a Consultant to provide technical assistance for the development of the 2024-2028 Strategic Plan of the ECOWAS Regional Competition Authority, aimed at the implementation of the Community Competition Framework
Reference No. N° ECW/ERCA-CTCF/ADM/ (DU (004) /18/07/23) kn
In the framework of the execution of the 2021 Budget, the ECOWAS Regional Competition Authority (ERCA) intends to apply a portion of its budgeted funds for the Recruitment of a Consultant to provide technical assistance for the development of the 2024-2028 Strategic Plan of the ECOWAS Regional Competition Authority, aimed at the implementation of the Community Competition Framework.
I – Background
In line with the broader context of promoting trade, investment, innovation and sustainable economic growth, the Regional Competition Framework is an invaluable complement to regional initiatives such as the ECOWAS Trade Liberalisation Scheme, the Common External Tariff and the ECOWAS Investment Policy. The pursuit of economies of scale and the development of intra-regional trade, made possible by the enlargement of markets, are the expected benefits of trade liberalisation. This issue is essential if we are to meet the challenges of globalisation and ensure the development of regional value chains and the integration of the countries of the region into the global economy.
The ECOWAS Vision 2050, adopted in December 2021, which sets the strategic objectives of “a fully integrated Community of peoples in a peaceful and prosperous region with strong institutions that respect fundamental freedoms and work towards inclusive and sustainable development”, reaffirms this ambition to some extent.
By taking into account the aspirations of the Community enshrined in Vision 2050, the ECOWAS Regional Competition Authority (ERCA) intends to place its mission within the framework of enlightened strategic decisions and to formulate objectives and actions adapted to the orientations of the high authorities of ECOWAS, to the requirements in terms of competition, to its needs and capacities. By developing a Strategic Plan and aligning its objectives and actions to the realities of its environment and the 2023-2027 Community Strategic Framework, as well as to the 4×4 Strategic Objective, the ERCA is committed to ensuring the sustainability of its interventions and its success in the medium term. Thus, the ERCA intends to identify the strategic projects to be implemented in order to address all areas of action within the scope of the Community competition framework.
II – Objectives:
The work consists of drawing up the 2024-2028 Strategic Plan of the ECOWAS Regional Competition Authority in line with the ECOWAS Vision 2050 and its implementation framework, namely the Community Strategic Framework (CSF 2023-2027) and the ECOWAS Commission Management’s 4×4 Strategic Objective.
Specifically, the work should:
- propose a clear vision for the ERCA by defining the level the Authority should reach in the medium term, in terms of its mission, values, and strategic objectives;
- conduct a situational analysis, highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of the ERCA and the opportunities and threats in its external environment;
- perform an internal analysis by assessing the Authority’s resources, skills, and capabilities with the aim of identifying its strengths and areas for improvement;
- suggest strategic objectives by setting clear and measurable targets to achieve the ERCA’s vision in relation to Vision 2050, CSF, and the 4×4 Strategic Objective, taking into account the identified constraints and opportunities;
- determine the approaches and actions to be taken to achieve strategic objectives, taking into account the environment and resources of the organization;
- draw up detailed action plans for each strategy, identifying responsibilities, deadlines, and the necessary resources;
- set up performance indicators and monitoring systems to measure progress and adjust actions if necessary;
- involve internal and external stakeholders in the strategic planning process, to ensure their support and participation in its implementation;
- provide mechanisms for potential changes to the strategic plan to adapt to changes in the environment and internal situations.
III – Consultants’ duties and responsibilities:
- The Consultant’s duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- carry out a situational analysis setting out the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of the ECOWAS Regional Competition Authority;
- conduct an analysis of the aspirations drawn from the data of the perception survey carried out among the staff, selected resource persons, Member States, technical and financial partners, civil society, etc.;
- prepare the strategic diagnosis report;
- draft the strategic plan report, which must include:
- strategic axes with specific intermediate outcomes;
- a thorough plan for implementing an operational strategy;
- a realistic performance measurement framework;
- the prerequisites for successful implementation of the plan;
- an analysis of the risks associated with strategic choices and with their implementation, as well as proposals for mitigating actions.
- In carrying out its assignment, the selected consultant will, among other things:
- conduct a literature review;
- draft and submit a detailed methodology including data collection and analysis tools, a list of key players and stakeholders to be met, and a work plan;
- discuss with the relevant players in the Member States with a view to collecting the data needed fo the drafting of the strategic plan;
- analyze and exploit data;
- produce the different reports (preliminary or scoping report, strategic diagnostic report, draft and final report of the plan);
- present the findings of the study to the various bodies of the Authority and make strong recommendations for the implementation of the strategic plan.
IV – Deliverables:
The consultant must provide the following:
- An inception report describing the consultant’s interpretation of the objectives, an overview of the approach and methodology that will be followed, a detailed work plan and any other relevant information.
- A comprehensive document on the ERCA’s 2024-2028 Strategic Plan in line with the objectives of this study, in relation to Vision 2050, the Community Strategic Framework (CSF 2023-2027) and the ECOWAS Commission Management’s 4×4 Strategic Objective.
- Consultation reports summarising the main feedback points from the consultation meetings.
- Interim and final reports describing progress and deliverables against the agreed terms of reference and work plan.
V – Qualifications and Experience:
The Consultant must have the following qualifications and experience:
- hold an advanced university degree (minimum Master’s degree) in Development Economics, Social Sciences, Law, Political Science, International Relations, or any related field;
- have at least ten (10) years’ experience in strategic planning and development policy evaluation; have participated in the drafting of at least five strategic plan documents or development policy documents; or in research studies on development policy, trade, market and competition;
- demonstrate having already completed at least three (3) similar technical assistance studies for the identification of development programmes/projects with international or regional organisations;
- demonstrate proof of having already carried out at least two (2) similar missions in the ECOWAS region;
- have excellent analytical and report writing skills, as well as strong communication skills;
- be fluent (reading, speaking and writing) in at least one official ECOWAS language (English, French or Portuguese). Working knowledge (reading, speaking and writing) of at least one other language would be an asset.
VI – Duration
The work will be performed over a period of three (3) months from the date the contract is signed.
VII – Funding
The work will be funded from the ERCA budget. This will cover all study-related expenses, including the consultant’s fees, travel costs and other administrative expenses.
VIII – Submission of proposals
Applicants who are interested in applying are required to provide a proposal that includes:
- A detailed CV and relevant qualifications of the consultant.
- A cover letter describing the consultant’s understanding of the project, the approach adopted to carry it out and the expected results.
- A detailed work plan outlining the methodology, deadlines and deliverables.
- A budget for the entire project, including all expenses.
- Two references from former clients or employers.
Expressions of Interest (1 original and 3 copies) can be delivered in sealed envelopes and clearly marked “Recruitment of a Consultant to provide technical assistance for the development of the 2024-2028 Strategic Plan of the ECOWAS Regional Competition Authority, aimed at the implementation of the Community Competition Framework ”, Do not open except in the presence of the Evaluation Committee” to the address below latest by July 31, 2023, at 11.00 am (GMT), The Gambia Time.
The Ecowas Regional Competitive Authority (ERCA) whose address is at Bertil Harding, KSMD, Bijilo, The Gambia P.O Box 4470 Tel :+2202330006/3486966.
This EOI is also published on the ERCA and the ECOWAS websites firstname.lastname@example.org and http://www.ecowas.int/doing-business-in-ecowas/ecowasprocurement
ECOWAS Regional Competition Authority (ERCA)